Monday, February 27, 2012

Eric Schlosser Kids Kustomers

I have to disagree with this guy. As a child I didn't know who Joe Camel was. Heck I don't remember much of anything between the ages of two and five. Children can be nagging, but it is all about how the parent rases there children. I have known many kids who can be nagging, but I have known others that aren't as nagging. I have to agree with Matthew though I think this essay is really biased towards children advertisements. Children advertising is looked down to by more older people then some of the younger generation. Mr. Schlosser seems to be a person who just disagrees with child advertising. He isn't the first and most certainly won't be the last, but he needs to stop being as biased as he is in this essay. He doesn't really try to play devil's advocate against his opinion, he is only supporting his believes not anyone else's. I think Mr. Schlosser needs to go back and look over his essay again and try to prove why his points are correct and why they are the most logical. I think a good example is when he talks about 25 years ago there were only a few American companies directing their marketing towards children. Which that was 25 years ago, that isn't 2011 or 2001. Twenty-five years ago life was different then how it is now-a-days when most advertising is directed towards children. That doesn't mean that the child is going to remember this a year later after the commercial has already aired. Children between the ages of two and six focus on the now, not the future. They don't have anything to worry about in life other then how to have fun with their friends. They don't pay attention to the TV half the time because majority of children have atleast a little ADD and can't focus long enough on one thing to where it impacts them long term. It is usually when children go to the store or go to say McDonalds that they see something and want it. This doesn't happen on TV all of the time, it probably doesn't even happen half the time. I still feel there is something missing from this essay. It is a good essay, makes some good points, but there is no devil's advocate to the article. That is what I believe the essay to be missing, but this is my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment