Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ethos Creamed Filled Doughnuts!


After watching the documentary “The Cove,” I felt a lot of mixed emotions. Even as I write response after having the class discussion about this controversial issue, I still feel mixed about the film. From the start of the movie to the end of it, I was filled to the brim of one-sided facts and arguments. It is safe to say that this film was aimed right at the throat of its enemy and trying to obtain its goal, ending captivity and having regulation reform with the IWC. 
            Do I like dolphins? Yes, I love them. Back in the day when a video game console only busted out 16 bits, I played vigorously a game called Echo The Dolphin! Swimming through an almost never ending campaign of bloodthirsty sharks and other deadly atrocities I had a connection with the dolphin I was controlling. I felt remorse for the dolphin that had lost his family to unforgiving alien race that needed the sea full of delicious fish and mammals. It felt unjust that within one scene an entire pod of dolphins along with many other members of the marine biology were captured and herded to space.
            In the same way, it’s hard not to feel remorse over capturing dolphins and sending members of those pods to different places around the world, while the rest of the pod is sent to its end. But within every inch of myself watching this documentary screamed at me. The lathered thick scenes of ethos covered guilt, all the personal testimonies of the heroic adventures who defiantly stood against the criminal empire and its acts of villainy. The scientific filled facts of mercury poisoned meat, and to the negligence of Japan’s representative to the IWC. Who portrayed as a secret Illuminati member posed to strike the destruction of whales and dolphins alike. All of it, all of its magic did not work on me. I was turned off with the slam of another culture that has its own laws and way of doing things differently.
             Does that make me heartless for not being swooned over by the scenes of dolphins swimming freely with a beautiful original song “Dolphins And People?” to accompany the scene? Or when it came to the scene of the woman crying because a dolphin was dying? No, it doesn't. Fishing, and hunting has never been a pretty sight. Cleaning a moose is probably one of the most disgusting things I have witnessed next to of course my mom giving birth to my younger sister. I couldn't imagine dolphins and whales being any different. While working in a tender filled with halibut, I reeked for hours and sometimes a day as I was stained in halibut blood and slime. Do I still eat moose and halibut…yes and quite of it too.
             This film is no different than the way that Fox News operates. Fox news is notorious for utilizing fear as a way of telling news while proclaiming the network as “Fair and balanced.”  This way of filming and broadcasting is like having a dinner full of desert with not a lot of meat or protein (founded facts with an unbiased input). By filling your diet up with ethos-covered doughnuts and not filling up with a hearty logos meal, someone can in essence debate and make a subject into anything. I am more than sure someone could make a documentary about how Hitler was the greatest man to have ever lived and stopping him and his vision for the Third Reich was the greatest tragedy this planet ever faced.
            Another example of this kind of filming is the Kony 2012 YouTube clip. Another delicious creamy ethos doughnut filled inside and outside with even more delicious ethos. Without presenting all the facts, just the ones that paint a beautiful effort by using emotions rather than cold stone facts. The Kony 2012 campaign brought the cultural reaction to a decline as more people questioned past the ethos doughnut. How Fox News and other news agency are still around gets me but, what the cove should have done instead of making an amazing sound track (which I bought) and scenes strictly made to target your heart and other emotional responses is given me a chance to see to be presented with both sides views and perspectives. The pros and cons, a simple list of what is going on. I don't need a movie to tell me that dolphins are cute and it’s sad when they are harvested. I am more than capable understanding that most cute animals are probably really sad to witness being harvested.

1 comment: