Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dolphin Killing in Taiji.


To start off I want to say I am a person who wears my heart on my sleeve for those who don’t know. When I watched this film I agreed with majority of the points the team made and that Ric O’ Barry made. However, there is one main thing I actually disagree with. I honestly would never want to see something like this in person. I wouldn’t be able to do it because I might end up hurting that one guy that kept yelling at them to leave. Watching this actually made me question why stuff like this isn’t illegal in the world. I know they do this type of behavior in other parts of the world not just in Taiji, Japan. Dolphin hunting and other things along that line shouldn’t be legal in the world in my opinion, but at the same time this is the job of those fishers. Their job is to go out and capture and kill dolphins, it is what they get paid to do. If this was made to be illegal we would be taking food out of their mouths and food out of their children’s mouths. I believe we all know how hard it is to get a job just in the United States, imagine how hard it is to get a job in other countries. In Japan right now, they have a 4.6% unemployment rate and it isn’t going down right now it is going up. I know there are going to be people that feel these types of activities should be illegal across the world, but just keep in mind if we as the rest of the world made it illegal to, “Dolphin Hunt”, we would be taking jobs away from other countries communities. Now do I agree with what they are doing, no not on any kind of a level, but at the same time I don’t want to take away their jobs that help them to survive in this world. I will now officially never eat raw sushi, nor shall I ever eat cooked dolphin because I don’t wish to die at a younger age do to mercury poisoning. Now does that mean all dolphin meat would be coming from Taiji and have high levels of mercury in it, no; however, I’m not going to test my luck with that. Also, I would not let my children test their luck with that either. Ric O’ Barry has dedicated his life to freeing dolphins and not having dolphins live in captivity. It takes a good amount for a person to go from capturing and training dolphins for a show, to wanting to free every captive dolphin in the world. What Ric O’ Barry is very extreme, but I say more power to the man because people need to know that things like this are going on around the world. No one should be blind to the massacring of any species what so ever. It is something that should be controlled, not something that is just let to go to its own bounds. To conclude, I will say that what is going on in Taiji needs to be checked out by the IWC and needs to be put in check and be limited. That way you don’t fully take jobs away from the Japanese, but we don’t keep seeing films like, The Cove.

No comments:

Post a Comment