Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good, or Bad, which is greater?

I find it very ironic indeed to be listening to the radio show from the speakers of my Macbook Pro, with my Ipod Nanos charging within my reach.

As the recording covered, there are indeed pros and cons to the sweatshops of China and elsewhere.  All it depends on is whether you see it as for the "Greater Good", or the "Greater Evil".  Just consider for a moment that he stated that Foxconn alone employed 140 thousand people.  What then, would those people be doing, if it weren't for the work they got from the factory?  Especially the children who were working there...  How many of the girls who were employed there would likely be in the trade of selling their very bodies for the money they needed?  But then, if you weigh that with the health issues that they will face after a prolonged amount of time doing the same old meticulous actions over and over again each day, which do you believe to be the heavier stone on the scale?

But then again, is there ever going to be one person whose moral scale is not tipped by some sort of bias?  Like Sir Bedivere's scale on Monty Python and The Quest For The Holy Grail, I don't think anybody's scale to be true, but is instead influenced heavily, perhaps by religion, their outlook on life, or any other possible variable that would tip it.

Personally, I think my scale to be ever so slightly tipped towards the rights of the employees, though it is conflicted by my cynical outlook on life and what I see as the other dark paths that they could likely go down, such as whoring and drugs.  But I find myself moved by the tales of the sufferings of another human being, and by mentally placing myself in their shoes.

Reading through the posts of the other contributors, I see that the majority of them are more supportive of the employees as well.  Then there are two that are seemingly supportive of the factories' positions, which I can really understand what their though processes may be.  Then, I don't know how, but there is also one post that states that the author concluded that it was about the danger that Apple products may be in due to the flak that they are receiving in such publications as this one.  So I find myself agreeing most with the former, agreeing slightly and understanding the second, and then left confused and completely lost by the latter.

Honestly, I don't think I will ever be able to go to such extremes such as completely swearing off such items as my MP3 players and Laptop, especially when my college education weighs so heavily on the latter.  Although I have considered leaving the greater part of society behind to live outside of it's influence and within the greatness of the wild, it would only be an extreme solution that I would resort to in order to make myself live a healthier lifestyle, considering I don't survive the trials of the modern world's stressful requirements.  Not to mention the fact that I personally find myself more mentally adept for a simpler, less restricted, and even a more savage age.

No comments:

Post a Comment