Monday, January 30, 2012

Reading Response Uno

To me, this piece of literature is a paradigm of his argument.  He really seems to be trying to drag the topic on and on and prove his point by simply losing the interest of his readers.  Also, I believe that the post is from a more informative standpoint, as he goes along and points out all sorts of examples of people who agree with his opinion.  However, at the same time, it is also somewhat arguementive as it is still naught but an opinion, and his way of arguing it is by showing the support he has.

And his publisher, The Atlantic, seems to be of a more liberal alignment.  Although I don't see how their political bias would affect THIS essay in particular, I can't think of any reason either side of the political "rainbow" would have any outstanding bias for or against Google.

As for whether he is actually targeting any specific audience, it doesn't seem like that's the case to me.  If anything, all he seems to be looking for is acknowledgment and support on his idea, so he would likely, or perhaps obviously, aiming it more towards people of the same mindset as he is.

Also, I agree with what Kyle posted.  The internet is definitely a catalyst for countless distractions, but like anything else, it is expected to have it's pros and cons.  Sure he might be having some ADD type symptoms towards his reading-style, but at the same time he can find any source he likes with a flick of his fingertips.  and, with what James Burke said, the human brain is indeed one of the most adaptive things upon the face of the Earth, however, I'm of a more Swiss mindset, I can't choose whether the changes brought about by the internet are good/bad.  Any changes in a person's mind would be affected by too many variables I think.  Possibly the biggest one would be a person's character I should think, and people's characters are vastly differed from one another.  So I think that the changes brought about by any brain alterations would likely balance themselves out, more or less yin for yang.

Personally, I can't blame google specifically for my inability to read things with great focus.  I would have to say that I would blame sites such as Facebook, Stumbleupon, Lolcats/Icanhascheezburger, Armorgames, and a whole plethora of other sites.  The reason that I personally cannot focus on any particular thing upon the internet isn't because of how it is presented to me I should think, but to the wide array of other things that are available to me and upon my mind at any given time while I'm reading something on the internet.

Besides, a lack of concentration doesn't mean that someone is stupid or not.  Someone could totally have the IQ of a caveman and still have amazing focusing capabilities.  A village idiot with OCD would be a prime example.  The aforementioned would be a complete rock-smasher so far as intelligence goes, but would have an almost supernatural ability to concentrate, even to the point of it being more harm than help.

If the author is having any problems with concentrating, I think he should just man up and take the blame himself, instead of trying to put it all on a WEB-BROWSER.

No comments:

Post a Comment