Sunday, January 29, 2012

My opinion about the internet


After I finished reading the article I started thinking more about what the message Mr. Carr is trying to put across. I agree with him about google making it easier to access information on which ever topics are on our minds at the time, whether it would be sports, music, famous people, etc. I felt that while reading the article I was being pulled away to do other things. Or to see what was on TV because as Mr. Carr put it. It is easier to do other things that we enjoy to do more than read a long article. I mean while I was reading the article I started thinking about what I might have for dinner tonight. I agree with Aaron when he said that almost all college students are starting to rely on the internet. I mean I personally have two classes that rely heavily on blackboard. I mean right now I’m writing a post for a class having to rely on my internet connection to not fail while I do this. Here is the thing though having the internet has helped us progress in this ever changing world that is technology driven. The internet gives us the ability to do research papers in the matter of weeks, where back in the 40’s for instance. It would have taken a person a couple of months to do the same amount of research and to read all the books they needed to make sure they received all the information they needed to complete the research paper. Over the course of this class we are going to forced to use the internet to find the information we need to complete the essays that we have to write. To touch on another topic Mr. Carr talked about with longer articles and books being read less and less. It is true because unless I have to read the article for homework or what I look up has to do with my homework. I wouldn’t find myself reading an article or book unless it was something I was interested in. If you think about it more, people will probably stop reading altogether at some point. With all of the apps and technology coming out that can read articles or books for you and you can just listen. It makes it easier to listen than to read the article yourself. I am happy that I read this article because Mr. Carr informed me of some topics I wouldn’t have thought about myself. Something funny to note is that before I started reading the article and writing this post. I was using google to look up information on a game that is coming out soon. It is weird how we start to think about things we do during the day that we don’t think about until we read an article like this one. I will more than likely google something later tonight or tomorrow. Thank you Mr. Carr for the article it gives me a lot more to think about while I’m surfing the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment